Sunday, December 2, 2012

Banana-Cardamom Coffee Cake

OK, everyone and their cousin knows that I love the banana bread recipe in the Miette book, but I've been making that one all the time recently. So when I saw we had a bunch of overripe bananas today, I figured I'd try something a little different. I took the cardamom coffee cake recipe from the Moosewood book, added mashed-up banana to the nut mixture and substituted mashed-up banana for the sour cream as well, and--HOLD ON--did you read that right? Can you DO that? Can you substitute banana for sour cream?!? Am I serious???? Friends, I have never been more serious. I substituted mashed-up banana for sour cream. It was a frankly rash and capricious gambit, one that may lead us into disaster, shake this precious little world of ours to its foundations.

We'll know when it comes out of the oven in a half-hour or so. Pray for us.

*** UPDATE ***
Just took it out of the over. Too hot to eat, but I had some anyway. I don't think the substitution had any negative effects. It's very light and moist, not gooey like I was worried it might be.

HOWEVER. I think I put in too much cardamom. The recipe called for 1 tablespoon of ground cardamom, which is what I used, but my cardamom was freshly ground in a mortar and pestle, more flavorful than the store-bought pre-ground stuff, I think. In retrospect, I should have thought of that and put in a bit less. Not a disaster, but a little disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment