Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Cat

The cat used to sleep on top of my chest as I lay in bed at night.  I'd go to bed and within a minute or two she'd pat into the room, like clockwork, jump up onto the bed, climb onto my chest, circle a few times, and go to sleep.  It was our quality time together and I valued it.

But recently, she's stopped doing that.  Now she sleeps way down at the foot of the bed, on the left side.  Sometimes she still comes up to have a look at my chest, as if she's considering it, but then she always decides against it and goes to lie down at the foot of the bed.

If she could talk, she could explain what's going on, she could say, e.g., "It's been warmer recently, and I don't feel the need for your body heat," or "You've changed shampoos and I don't like the smell of the new one," or "I'm still angry about that time you nearly stepped on my tail," or whatever.  But she's just a cat and she can't speak, so the change remains inexplicable and traumatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment