Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Recent Cakes

Isabella's Christening cake:

I maybe got carried away with the ocean scene--it distracts from the boat.  Should probably have just left it a nice clean aqua blue.


Ichiko's wedding cake:

I wanted to put a big red cherry on top, but there was so much food coloring in there, to get that nice deep cherry-red shade, that the damn thing wouldn't hold its shape correctly.  They were happy anyway.


Halloween cake (little pumpkins on top by Tilo):

This was my first try at piping royal icing, and it was a royal pain in the ass.  Mich Turner, in her Masterclass book, says to just use wax paper instead of a store-bought piping bag.  This was my first time, and cutting and folding up all that wax paper seemed confusing, so I figured I'd just go ahead and use a bag.  Well, the bag was a disaster!  The nozzle kept falling out, and the icing got all over my hands, and then finally the bag burst.  So in desperation I decided to give the wax paper a try and damned if it didn't work like a dream.  Thanks, Mich Turner!

No comments:

Post a Comment