Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lego Cake

This was for James' sixth birthday back in, I don't know, January or something. "Hey, why are you only posting about it now?" Well, look, it's just been a crazy year, okay? "So is blogging about children's party cakes no longer a priority in your life?" Hey, let's just, shut up, okay? Let's just do this.


It's a Lego cake, obviously. If memory serves, each block had three layers: chocolate-vanilla-chocolate, with chocolate buttercream between the layers and around the sides, and then rolled fondant on all the surfaces.



I usually use a ganache to get the sides really smooth and flat before I lay on the fondant, but I think I skipped that step this time around so the cake wouldn't be too heavy. As a result, the edges aren't nearly as sharp as I would have liked them to be. This is a cake that, quite frankly, does not stand up to close scrutiny, which bothers me. The kids at the party didn't seem to mind, though. Bunch of philistines.




The Legos on top were our present for James. In case you haven't kept up with recent Lego trends, that's the Final Battle: the Golden Dragon set from the Ninjago series. It includes the Golden Ninja, which, depending who you ask, makes it really awesome. You can make that green ball-thing shoot out of the dragon's mouth, which is fun I guess. Honestly, though, call me an old crusty curmudgeon, but this is exactly how I feel about Ninjago:


1 comment: